25 Years of SAZ:
Being a Member is Worthwhile!
It is worthwhile for all game designers and prospective designers to become members of the SAZ. We are also happy to invite anybody who wants to support the goals of the SAZ and to strengthen the association to become a supporting member.
Good reasons to become a SAZ member:
- A strong SAZ can adequately represent the interests of game designers towards publishers domestically and abroad, as well as in authorities and politics. This includes its commitment to a stronger recognition of games in society as a cultural asset, e.g., through the participation of the SAZ in the German Cultural Council. Together we achieve more for each and every individual.
- No one should wait until he or she has published the first game with a game publisher. For the steps towards and for the first contract, there is much to consider. The experience of SAZ and professional colleagues can prevent harm and loss of money.
- Lively discussions and exchange of experiences among members on many issues and themes are a great addition. SAZ members benefit from the wealth of experience of others, and thus can draw on well-founded knowledge. The SAZ-members-only forum on our website is an important platform for this.
- The SAZ thrives on the active co-operation of many members. Members can participate actively and contribute their ideas. In particular, regional groups, working groups, various events and up-to-date campaigns are a good platform for this.
Exclusively for SAZ members:
- The series of publications called SAZ Points (title overview) provides the basic knowledge for game designers; it is available for download to all members.
- When problems arise with respect to contracts and intellectual property rights, the SAZ has been able to give relevant advice, based on many years of experience. The legal adviser of the SAZ, who is a lawyer specializing in matters of intellectual property rights and contract law and a further lawyer in New York, are available as needed for a free first consultation – organized by the SAZ office.
- The internal Forum and the SAZ Newsletter inform members about all currently relevant topics regularly and provide a discussion platform for all members. In addition, all members have access to the member-only area of the site, to share experience and coordinate the association's activities.
- In addition, members can download the Austrian games magazine WIN for free.
- The designers' profiles on the website help to make game designers better known. This way, for instance, journalists, publishers and also designer colleagues can make contacts quickly and directly.
- SAZ members benefit from ticket discounts: For instance, they get free entrance to the Toy Fair in Nuremberg, and a permanent ticket at reduced price for the consumer fair SPIEL in Essen – application in time required.
- The online shop www.spielmaterial.de grants 10% discount for SAZ members – application required.
- Every new member receives an advanced training voucher worth 40.00 €, which can be redeemed at a contractual partner of the SAZ. With this, we strive to foster the qualification of prospective game designers or, generally speaking, of new members. At present we can offer these vouchers for German events only, but we gladly accept applications from event organizers in other countries.
- The Austrian game magazine WIN: SAZ members receive the download link of the English edition for free.
Become a member — we would be glad to have you with us!
Bylaws of the Game Designers Association (PDF 107 KB)
The standard membership fee for regular members is 100.00 Euro per fiscal year (April to March). The reduced membership fee of € 60,00 applies by written request for new members without existing publication unrepeatable in the first year and permanently for members with low income. The fee for new members who join in the second half of the fiscal year (so from October 01), is a fixed amount of € 40.00 or, respectively, reduced € 30.00. A new member who joins the association in January to March pays the membership fee for the following year immediately and consequently is free from any fees in January to March. The minimum fee for sustaining members is € 60,00. The membership is valid indefinitely until it is terminated in writing.
Application for membership (PDF-Form 200 KB)
Simply fill it out on the computer, print, sign and send in by letter or fax.